Tuesday, March 10, 2009

1972 Topps Traded Set

I was researching the upcoming post for Ray Corbin (card #66) when I came across a 1971 card of his that was signed on SportsCollectors.Net. I checked and Ray Corbin didn't have a 1971 card. I got in touch with the guy that got the autograph and he made the card himself. He even found a 1971 photo of Ray that had the correct uniform (changes were made to the collar in 1972). I know many of you are fantastic at doing this and I marvel at your skills. My skills are more reflective of the paint job I did on the Rich Chiles post a few back.

This got me to thinking that if Topps started its Traded set in 1971 instead of 1981, this card would have been in it. So, the logical conclusion for me was to think, "Gee, I know Topps put some "Traded" cards in the 6th Series (Carlton, Cardenal, McLain, Morgan, Frank Robinson), but if they'd had a full 132 card set, what would it have been.

So, I started on a checklist. I found about 140 possible cards to choose from. Now, I know I don't have the time, inclination or artistic ability to create this Traded set. I searched for a photo of Duke Sims with the Tigers and the only 2 I could find were a back view of him catching (which you'll see tomorrow) and his 1973 card. I suppose I could be lazy -- it was good enough for Topps with Earl Wilson, Ralph Garr and Leo Durocher (thanks, respectively to Mark's Ephemera, the Night Owl and Wrigley Wax) so perhaps it isn't so lazy.

Among the highlights would be the true rookie cards of Mike Schmidt, Rich Gossage and Rick Reuschel. Willie Mays and Yogi Berra would be with the Mets and Sparky Lyle to the Yankees. There were also players that Topps completely left out (licensing issues?) such as Rusty Staub, Luis Tiant and John Hiller. Also, like a lot of the Traded sets, there would be the "one-hit wonders" that neither you nor I had heard of and never would hear of again, like Padre Mark Schaeffer and Twin Tom Norton.

Maybe I'll play around with this a little and see what comes of it. Of course, if I can pull a Tom Sawyer and get one of you Huck Finns out there to whitewash my fence it would be much better than this:




3 comments:

  1. Rusty Staub had some sort of licensing issue with Topps in the early '70s (I think it was similar to the whole Barry Bonds-Topps dispute). Staub didn't appear on any Topps cards in the early '70s. I think the '74 set was his first card since '69, but I could be off a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what's your email I made a 72 Schmidt for ya.
    jeffwolfe2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete